This recipe reminds me of fall time. These cookies are so good and are worth the time and effort. When cutting the candied ginger, I recommend spraying the knife with non-stick cooking spray before cutting. These cookies are so chewy and are great when dipped in milk. This recipes makes about 2 ½ dozen cookies.
- ¾ cup butter softened
- 1 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
- ½ cup chopped crystallized ginger
- About ½ cup of sugar
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter and brown sugar until smooth
- Beat in the egg and molasses
- Slowly mix in the flour, ground ginger, baking soda, and salt
- Mix the molasses
- Add in the fresh and crystallized gingers
- Cover, and refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours, or overnight. The longer it is refrigerating, the better.
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and then roll them in sugar
- Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.