These meringues are so good, and I highly recommend them. This meringue recipe is from my grandmother, but I changed it a little. When pipping out the meringues, I wouldn’t use a tip for the pipping bag, because I found that the chocolate chips got stuck. This recipe makes about 2 dozen large meringues.
- 2 egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt
- ⅛ teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¾ a cup of sugar
- ¾ a cup of mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Mix the egg whites, salt, cream of tartar, and vanilla in a Kitchen Aid mixer and beat until mounds begin to form.
- Slowly add in the sugar and beat until it is firm but still shiny. If the mixture has a curtled look, it’s over mixed and you will have to restart.
- Fill a pastry bag with the mixture and pipe onto the cookie sheets.
- Bake the meringues for 25 minutes.