My family and I really enjoyed this meal. You know you did a good job when your whole family is happy. This recipe is a modified version of a recipe from The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook. I altered it to give it more flavor and make it tastier. This recipe makes about 10 servings.
- 4 medium sized onions
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 8 cups of beef stock
- 2 tablespoons of beef bullion
- Grated Gruyere
- Sliced baguette for serving
- Peel the onions and cut them from pole to pole. In a large soup pot, melt the butter on medium high heat. Once the butter is melted add the onions.
- Mix in the salt and pepper, then add the sugar while stirring.
- You want the onions to be kind of mushy but a little browned.
- Mix in the flour
- Pour in the beef stock and stir.
- Reduce the temperature to a simmer and put a lid on, but not on all the way so the steam can get out. About 40 minutes.
- Pour the soup into your bowls and place the grated Gruyere on top and let it get a little melted.
- The slice baguette is great for dipping in the soup, but is completely optional.